Re: org-persist warning when archiving

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-persist warning when archiving
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 14:45:19 +0800

Colin Baxter 😺 <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> Ok, I now applied your patch and remade org-mode. Unfortunately, I don't
> see any change. I still get the warning on all the archive commands:
> org-agenda-archive-default, org-agenda-archive and
> org-agenda-archive-default-with-confirmation. I've appended the warning
> for the latter command.

Thanks for testing! My guess was incorrect and I am still unable to
reproduce using agenda (previously, I just tried archiving from inside
Org buffer).

> Warning (emacs): org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifications
> detected. Resetting.
> If this warning appears regularly, please report it to Org mode mailing list
> (M-x org-submit-bug-report).
> The buffer is: todo.org_archive
>  Current command: org-agenda-archive-default-with-confirmation Disable
> showing Disable logging
> Warning (emacs): org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifications
> detected. Resetting.
> If this warning appears regularly, please report it to Org mode mailing list
> (M-x org-submit-bug-report).
> The buffer is: todo.org_archive
> Current command: org-agenda-archive-default-with-confirmation Disable showing
> Disable logging
>
> I've not tried it on emacs -Q yet. For that, do I need to start afresh
> and first delete the org-persist-directory?

You can simply start from emacs -Q + a new file (the new file will not
have any cache). In my testing, I just created a new org file, opening
it from emacs -Q -L /path/to/latest/org/lisp -l org
/path/to/the/new/file.org Then, I added a new TODO heading, opened todo
agenda for current buffer, and tried to archive the heading from agenda.
No warning on my side.

You can repeat my steps and see what happens. If nothing, you may try
archiving from your todo.org (but still using emacs -Q). If still
nothing, it may be something about your config.

The original intention of the warning you are seeing is catching
external packages that change buffer text silently. That's a no-go for
Org cache because unnoticed changes could make the cache incorrect (for
now, they just force cache reset making cache useless).

Best,
Ihor