Clarify bug report requirements wrt mailing list subscription

From: Carlos Pita
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:33:42 -0300

Hi all,

I find the instructions about bug reporting in [1] lacking a heads-up
that subscription to the mailing list is a (soft?) prerequisite. It's
true that it links to [2] which states:

    You can subscribe to the list from this web page. If you are not a
    member of the mailing list, your mail will be passed to the list
    after a moderator has approved

but also it's true [3] states:

    The Org mailing list is a members only mailing list to prevent
    spam. Membership is freely available and only requires that you
    subscribe to the list and confirm your email address.

Moreover, that it seemingly is a soft requirement implies that I'm not
getting any feedback for some time about the status of my report.

All this ended up in that, after some years, I reported a bug again but
from an alternative address following the instructions in [1], but
without reading [2], and since hours later I wasn't seeing my report in
the list I checked [3], subscribe to the list and resent the report,
which probably will arrive twice now, except that a moderator catches
the dup.

I reckon that I could have been more careful regarding [2] but still the
instructions in [1] are somewhat misleading and I would say that [3]
just contradicts [2], whatever is true.

What do you think of:

- Adding some brief mention to subscription in [1].

- Resolve the apparent contradiction about subscription being a
  prerequisite or not between [2] and [3].

Best regards,
Carlos

---

[1] https://orgmode.org/worg/org-issues.html