Re: How to open a link to a folder/file in Finder, not Dired

From: Mark Barton
Subject: Re: How to open a link to a folder/file in Finder, not Dired
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 09:08:16 -0700

On Oct 20, 2021, at 1:36 AM, Gerardo Moro <gerardomoro37@gmail.com> wrote:

I am having the same problem as reported here: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/66593/how-to-open-a-link-to-a-folder-file-in-finder-not-dired

I copy paste:

I used to be able to create links with open-insert-link pointing to folders or files. When I clicked on them, I would be redirected to Finder. Lately, they are shown within Dired. How to control this behaviour? When I use either [[file:/users/Shared]] or [[file+emacs:/users/Shared]], and click on them, I get the dired buffer, not the Finder app.

Thanks!
G.M.

According to the help for org-open-at-point it should work if you give a double prefix argument. I tried C-u C-u C-c C-o and it opened a link in finder.

I normally prefer dired, but when I need finder, I use Keyboard Maestro to associate H-f to bring the finder to focus in a manner specific to the current application. So when emacs is the current application, Keyboard Maestro will send the following keystrokes to emacs to open finder in the directory associated with the current buffer:    M-! open .

For the case where other applications other than emacs are the current application, I can configure the macro to bring up finder using the various application specific menu options to show file in finder. If there are no specific configurations for the application, then it just switches to finder.

Mark