Re: [BUG] org-toggle-headline inserts "TODO" regardless of local definit

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-toggle-headline inserts "TODO" regardless of local definitions [9.5 (9.5-g0a86ad @ /home/rasmus/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5/)]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 04:53:01 +1100

> autofrettage <autofrettage@protonmail.ch> writes:
>
>> * DONE Apple
>> ** TODO Banana
>>
>> ...instead of these:
>>
>> * baz Apple
>> ** foo Banana
>
> Confirmed.
>
> Currently, checkbox to todo keyword mapping is hard-coded in
> org-list-to-subtree.
>
> We may use something like
> [ ] -> (car org-not-done-keywords);
> [-] -> (car org-not-done-keywords);
> [X] -> (car org-done-keywords);

I would agree hard coded todo keywords is an issue given we allow
people to define the set of todo keywords. I think your suggestion to
use the car of 'org-not-done-keywords and 'org-done-keywords is an
improvement (even if not perfect).

I do wonder if the doc string for org-toggle-heading needs updating. It
makes no reference to making a list item a todo heading if it looks like
a todo item. I was actually surprised that org-toggle-heading adds
keywords at all. While headings and todo items are certainly related, my
expectation would be that a function called org-toggle-heding would do
just that - add stars if none exist and remove them if they do. I would
not necessarily expect a list item to be converted to a todo heading,
only a heading.