Re: How to keep getting org updates

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: How to keep getting org updates
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 17:21:04 +1100

Galaxy Being <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> This is in my init.el

> (setq package-archives '(("ELPA"  . "http://tromey.com/elpa/";)
> ("gnu"   . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/";)
> ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/";)
> ("org"   . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/";)))
>
> I'm guessing the last line is no more and should be removed? In any case, not
> getting 9.5 when I do a package update.

The 9.5 version is in GNU ELPA. However, if you have a version from
orgmode.org or melpa, the version number is probably the release date
e.g. 20211001 or example, and package.el will see that as a later
version to 9.5 (because 20211001 is a larger number!).

My suggestion would be to uninstall any version you have installed and
then install the 9.5 version from ELPA. I would also remove the
orgmode.org repository as you mention. It may also be worthwhile
'inning' org to the ELPA repository (which should mean package.el will
only look at the ELPA repository when looking for updates (and not, for
example, MELPA).

If your running the emacs 28 pretest, it already includes 9.5