Re: A minor suggestion about formatting citations

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: A minor suggestion about formatting citations
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 10:54:09 -0400

On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> you should probably trim each key, and re-add spaces where you want them in
> the function that does these kinds of things.

I realize that's an option, but something about that feels wrong to me.

We're adding a single space as prefix, not because it's meaningful for
citation purposes (there actually is no prefix, though org-cite
interprets it as " "), but only so buffer formatting works correctly.

And then presumably code needs to be added to the export machinery to
strip those empty affixes?

Am not saying the latter goal isn't important; just seems like the
side effect isn't ideal.

> Maybe that should even be controlled by a defcustom that allows 0-1 spaces.

You mean in org-cite? I think that'd be my preference, unless there's
a better solution to this issue.

Bruce