Re: Patch to align baseline of latex fragments and surrounding text

From: Matt Huszagh
Subject: Re: Patch to align baseline of latex fragments and surrounding text
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 16:29:28 -0700

Matt Huszagh <huszaghmatt@gmail.com> writes:

> I've created a patch to align the baseline of latex image fragments to
> the surrounding text. The patch consists of several parts. First, it
> adds a customizable variable that can be set to a user supplied function
> to compute the value of :ascent passed to `overlay-put'. It can also be
> set to a symbol (e.g., 'center, which is the current setting and still
> the default), or an integer (:ascent can take an integer
> percentage). The patch also modifies `org--make-preview-overlay' to use
> this new variable.
>
> The other part of the patch is a new function that computes the correct
> value for :ascent from an SVG file.
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't a general-purpose solution to baseline text
> alignment. It currently only works with SVG images and requires that
> these SVG images encode the text baseline in the viewBox attribute (I've
> explained in the function documentation how to achieve this).
>
> I was not initially planning to include the function because it only
> works in certain special cases (though if you setup your SVG image
> generation as I've described in the documentation it should work
> correctly for all of your LaTeX fragments). However, I ultimately
> decided it was beneficial to include it for several reasons: (1) it
> would not be obvious for many users how to write this function on their
> own, (2) by including it, others can improve upon it, and (3) I tried to
> minimize corner cases by leaving the default value as 'center and having
> the function return 'center whenever it detects an incorrect :ascent
> value.

I should also mention that I've tested this for different image scaling
factors (`:image-size-adjust' in `org-preview-latex-process-alist') and
it works regardless of the scale factor. That is, the baseline will be
correctly aligned irrespective of the scale factor you set (though
obviously the text median
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseline_(typography))) will only match
the surrounding text for the correct scaling factor.

Matt