Re: Inequalities in math blocks

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Inequalities in math blocks
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 22:05:57 +0700

On 07/10/2021 20:05, Timothy wrote:
Org should rewrite < and > to &lt; and &gt; to avoid broken HTML, or as < and
in general.

I think we’ve drifted a bit to the differences in processing (where the `\( ...
\)'
vs `$ ... $' comments are most pertinent), but as you say for valid HTML < and >
should be rewritten. I don’t think I’ve seen an issue because MathJax seems to
take care of it, but it looks like MathJax is also fine with &lt; and &rt;.

"<" and ">" characters are valid only markup elements in HTML (part of tags, comments). MathJax interprets text content. Normally, to add text "<" or ">", "&lt;" or "&gt;" should be used in HTML sources. Browsers may pass "<" and ">" from source to text content if they are totally confused by invalid markup that does not resemble tags or something else. I do not think, it should be abused.

I cited MathJax docs just to show a temporary workaround till the bug will be fixed in Org. It is quite strange that Org properly converts "<>&" to entities in text but leaves them as is in math snippets. Unsure whether git history might clarify some reasons of such behavior.

On 06/10/2021 14:39, Rudolf Adamkovič wrote
I wrote the following: "[…] every term $t\in{}q$ with $idf(t)>c$ for
some constant $c$ […]", and the "idf(t) > c" part got exported as
"idf(t)". I cannot fix the paper at this point. Uh-oh!

If you submitted HTML file, you might suggest to open sources to make it obvious that the mistake was not intentional.

"$idf(t)>c$" means "i*d*f(t) > c". A bit more markup required to make "idf" typed in straight font instead of italics and to avoid additional space between characters.

It is matter of taste, but "{}" after "\in" looks a bit strange for me. "$t\in q$ is even shorter, "$t \in q$", having the same length, is more readable from my point of view.