Maintainer Duties

From: Daniel Fleischer
Subject: Maintainer Duties
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 18:05:08 +0300

Hi all,

Only 30 out of the 122 Elisp files have a maintainer. I'm interested in
maintaining one or more files but I'm not sure what it means. Can we
make it clearer, as perhaps other people are interested and want to
know.

Here are some possible aspects of the role:

1. Actively improve the file content: function documentation, error
   handling, formatting, notation (syntax).

2. Identify messages in the mailing list related to the file.
   Participate in these threads.

3. Become an expert on the functionality in the file.

4. Offer new functionality, features, improve existing code (semantics).

5. Review all patches related to the file and then approve them or order
   a rework. Finally, merge them.

Or maybe some other aspects?

Thanks,

--