Re: Possible bug? Combine emphasis marker faces?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Possible bug? Combine emphasis marker faces?
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 16:43:27 +0800

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have noticed that it is not possible to combine org-emphasis-alist
> characters.  When applying multiple types of emphasis, the face
> corresponding to the outermost pair overrides its innermost counterparts.
>
> For example, */emphasise/* will render with the 'bold' face, while
> /*emphasise*/ will use the 'italic' face.

Confirmed

> Looking at the code, this seems to be intentional or unavoidable, while
> I do not know of a way to blend faces dynamically.
>
> Is there a way to get composite styles?  Such as bold and italic or
> verbatim and underline, etc.?

org-element-context does return nested emphasis, so it is certainly
possible to combine composite styles (at least, during export).
Fontification code does not work with elements though and I do not see
an easy way to change it.

Rewriting fontification using org-element API would eliminate this type
of issues.  However, I am not sure about performance (maybe with
org-element-cache?).

Best,
Ihor