[Question] A single *-language-alist in ox-latex.el?

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: [Question] A single *-language-alist in ox-latex.el?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 10:48:56 +0000

Hi,

I have seen that `org-latex-polyglossia-language-alist' contains far
more languages than `org-latex-babel-language-alist'.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the situation in the LaTeX ecosystem is this:
Polyglossia appeared as a babel replacement for XelaTeX and LuaLaTeX,
since babel, at that time, had no support for these two new Unicode
based TeX engines. I think those two separate lists in ox-latex.el
translate that situation. But the reality is different now: babel has
full support now for LuaTeX and XeTeX and supports more languages than
polyglossia (and also supports language variants. See
http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/required/babel/base/babel.pdf p.
20). In addition, babel is part of the LaTeX core and is, therefore,
better mantained.

Of course, anyone who wants to use polyglossia in their documents can
keep doing it without problems. But I think it does not make much sense
to mantain in ox-latex.el two separate lists today. Maybe, for
simplicity, it would be better to unify the two lists in a single db,
something like `org-latex-language-alist'. What do you think?

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

Juan Manuel Macías

https://juanmanuelmacias.com/