Re: [BUG] [BUG] inconsistent behavior when reading multiple tags [9.4.6

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [BUG] [BUG] inconsistent behavior when reading multiple tags [9.4.6 (9.4.6-g366444 @ /home/n/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:49:41 +0200

Hi,

No Wayman <iarchivedmywholelife@gmail.com> writes:

> The patch you are viewing is outdated.
> This is the latest patch on offer:
>
> 87bl4rce4j.fsf@gmail.com/2-0001-Allow-to-delimit-tags.patch">https://list.orgmode.org/87bl4rce4j.fsf@gmail.com/2-0001-Allow-to-delimit-tags.patch

Thanks.

> It allows "," (the default for completing-read-multiple) and ":" to
> delimit tags when completing-read-multiple is used.

What does not work if we don't allow ","?

> The reason for allowing "," is that it's easier to type than ":". I
> make liberal use of tags and IMO typing a "Shift+;" between each tag
> is annoying and slow.

Okay (but note that we don't all use the same keyboard...)

> The comma is also used as the default separator when
> completing-read-multiple is used.
>
>> If we relax a constraint, I'd rather have this hardcoded and well
>> documented than adding a new defvar or defcustom.
>
> The latest patch removed the defcustom and replaced it with a defvar
> for the crm-separator regexp.
> If it would ease your mind I'd be happy to convert it to a defconst.

Instead of a defvar that we don't want the user to modify, why not
hardcoding the addition of the coma?  I'd prefer this.

> It's also worth noting that the constraint was only recently
> introduced.
> "," worked fine to delimit tags in `org-set-tags-command' prior to the
> switch to completing-read-multiple.

Okay, this buys it - if I understand what really does not work when
allowing ":".

> Regarding documentation, let me know where you'd prefer it
> documented.

Any place in the manual that refers to tag separators, explicitely or
implicitely, I've not checked if there are some.  Also in the code
itself, as a comment, to explain why both "," and ":" should be
allowed (avoid the keyboard-based argument, which is too subjective.)

Thanks!

--
 Bastien