Re: Switching to new Git repositories

From: No Wayman
Subject: Re: Switching to new Git repositories
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 19:13:45 -0400

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

On 09/23/21 17:17:48 -0400, No Wayman wrote:

It looks like you've unintentionally added a ')' to the end of the
GITVERSION line.

Apologies. Must've been a stray.

Another approach would be to update org.el's version to contain
something that still signals "-dev" but won't trigger the "Invalid version syntax" (which, based on grepping the Emacs repo, is signaled by version-to-list). But given that in the current setup a clone with tags wouldn't use the header version, stripping -dev for consistency sounds
like the way to go.

I agree we should keep it simple and consistent.

Out of curiosity I ran this against the repo to see if the "Version" metadata had always followed its current convention:

git grep "Version:" $(git rev-list --all) -- lisp/org.el

Looks like the "-dev" suffix goes back to "9.4-dev" and before that we have "8.4-git" and "6.08-pre01". I'm not sure what Org's convention is here, but the patsubst could be adjusted to be more flexible if necessary.

I tried to be more concrete with the commit message.
See attached.