Citation not inserted as 1st item in footnote (using org-cite and org-re

From: Elias Bounatirou
Subject: Citation not inserted as 1st item in footnote (using org-cite and org-ref-cite)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 22:22:14 +0200

Hi,
When I try to insert a citation as the first item into a non-inline-definition footnote, org-ref-cite refuses to insert the citation returning in the minibuffer "Cannot insert citation here". The same problem does not occur if the footnote has an inline definition. As for non-inline-definition footnotes, if I copy the citation into the footnote, no problem occurs, either. The citation is also properly exported to LaTeX.
Is this a problem of org-cite/org-mode in general or rather of org-ref-cite?

Best regards,
Elias