Re: behavior of (org-insert-heading-respect-content)

From: Victor A. Stoichita
Subject: Re: behavior of (org-insert-heading-respect-content)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 17:23:50 +0200

Le 13 Sep 2021, Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> a écrit :

> As far is I see it, the intended behavior of
> org-insert-heading-respect-content with point before the first heading
> is to
>
> - insert the new heading immediately before the first heading.  Respect
>   the content!
Hi Marco !

I agree with you. But this does not work. Say I have a buffer with this content
:

put point HERE and C-<return>
Some more stuff
* Heading
content

When point is at HERE and I C-<return>, org inserts a new asterisk on
the after "stuff", but  on the same line → not a proper heading.

> - If there is no heading at all in the file the heading shall be
>   inserted at the bottom of the file.

Yes. But I get the same behavior with
put point HERE and C-<return>
Some more stuff

The asterisk is inserted right after "stuff", on the same line → not
a proper heading.

> Do we agree on the desired behavior of
> org-insert-heading-respect-content?

Yes, we do!

> With your proposition the respect for the content gets lost,
> doesn't it?

Yes, you’re right. It currently does not respect the content before
first heading. Therefore it’s not a fix for the behavior of
org-insert-heading-respect-content.
It’s just the quickest workaround I’ve come up with to make my own
function work (in my use-case, when I call that function, either point
is at point-min in a brand new buffer, or point is below the first
heading).

Regards,
Victor