Re: [org-cite] citations in property drawers?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [org-cite] citations in property drawers?
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:19:48 -0400

Not all org files are destined for export. I slightly feel users should be allowed to put citations in places where it might not make sense in export, and that they are responsible for knowing what they are doing.

I am sympathetic to the reality that the second half of that statement is a big ask, and that it can lead to confusion. Nothing stops anyone from manually typing or pasting a citation into those places though. I would be inclined to use the activate function to highlight those that are in places that won't export, rather than limit where people can put them using the insert mechanism.

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 1:11 PM Tom Gillespie <tgbugs@gmail.com> wrote:
> That would be a terrible idea. Exporters are not required to handle all
> data contained in properties drawers, so this may introduce errors,
> e.g., when trying to number citations.

I agree completely. You can't export something that has no anchor in
text that would be rendered. Maybe I misunderstood the original
question, because there is no way that a citation or footnote could be
exported from there, so I think in your conception text that follows
the format of the citations or footnotes isn't actually a citation or
footnote unless it exports as such.

Best,
Tom