Re: forms and org-mode

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: forms and org-mode
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 18:33:50 +1000

OK, but I'm still a little unclear exactly what you are asking about.

If it is just a general question about whether Emacs Forms could be used
for data input into an org table, the basic answer is yes, I think so.

If your asking if anyone has done this - not that I'm aware of.

If your asking how hard it would be to do, well that depends.

The biggest challenge I can see is that Emacs forms expects a data file
which  just consists of one record per line where each record is
separated by a specific character. That part is not too hard. However,
where things might get tricky is if you want to keep the data in an org
file with other org data.

I imagine you could maintain a table in a data file fairly easily. You
can use the org '|' as the field separators and you would likely need to
write an input and output filter function to remove white space and add
it back on writing. None of this would be too hard.

However, if you wanted an emacs forms interface to one or more tables
inside a normal org file, it might be more tricky. You would need a far
more sophisticated input/output filters and possibly need to narrow the
file or do something else to help the filter functions target the data.

It has been many years since I used Emacs Forms. From memory, I gave up
on them as the level of maintenance exceeded the usefulness. I guess it
all really depends on how much data you need to edit and how predictable
the target data files are.

.