Re: Bug: :session results in unfriendly error reporting

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Bug: :session results in unfriendly error reporting
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:02:12 +0300

Charles,

being sympathetic with the idea of better error reporting, i'm curious
about the following.

> Right. But there is no error as far as babel is concerned. R has
> handled the condition. So there is nothing for babel to see/do.
> Running R in this fashion starts a fresh process which signals an
> error that babel can handle.  I see no easy way to get sessions to
> sends signals that babel can process.

what is going on here?  is the issue that in the no-session case, the R
process exits with a non-zero exit code, and that is how "babel" picks
up on it?

i put "babel" in quotes ("\"babel\"" :) above, because, in my simple
mind, babel isn't just the main bit that runs inside org/emacs, but also
some glue bits that run in the various languages' environments.  things
like initializing variables, and harvesting results.  so, might one not
argue that checking execution status, in a session environment, could
also be part of babel?

cheers, Greg