Re: Expanding how the new cite syntax is used to include cross-reference

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: Expanding how the new cite syntax is used to include cross-references - thoughts?
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 14:06:44 -0400

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 1:19 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> so, I guess I am in agreement that it is option 2, and that there needs to be
> a single entry point for each one.

+1

So I guess open questions:

1. a new syntax that mirrors cite (and accompanying new
cross-reference element?), per Timothy's suggestion, or reuse cite? I
still think a new syntax and element is cleaner, but depends in part
on ...
2. if the former, what new code would be required, and can some from
OC (and maybe org-ref??) be reused somehow? if the latter, what
changes to the OC code?

A related question on syntax is if one ever needs multiple
sub-references, as one does multi-cite citations? I was assuming no,
so a hypothetical new syntax could be simpler than citations, but IDK.

Of course these questions are only relevant if the org maintainers are
open to them also.

BTW, I thought this earlier post from Joost Kremers was interesting
and relevant:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-07/msg00238.html

Bruce