Deleting (not archiving) TODO items when done

From: William Denton
Subject: Deleting (not archiving) TODO items when done
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2021 13:47:11 -0400 (EDT)

When I've marked a TODO item as DONE and want to get it out of my projects list, I've always used C-c C-x C-a (org-archive-subtree-default) to get it out of the way.

Today I had to go through the archive file to find an old note about something, and the file was huge because it was filled with many trivial TODOs that didn't need to be archived. For example, If I'm waiting to hear back from someone, when they reply I usually just want to mark the task DONE and delete it. I don't need to record it forever.

Maybe I've been using the archiving not as intended, but I don't see any other command for getting rid of a TODO. I can't find a command to delete the current task. Am I missing something? Is there a keystroke to delete a TODO? Or does everyone archive everything?

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/