Re: org-cite-list-bibliography-files

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: Re: org-cite-list-bibliography-files
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 15:36:56 +0000

On 2021-07-25 Sun 17:14, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 10:47 AM Titus von der Malsburg
> <malsburg@posteo.de> wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m starting to learn about org’s new capabilities for citations and
>> bibliographies.  Exciting, and great work!
>>
>> Two suggestions/requests:
>>
>> 1. `org-cite-list-bibliography-files' returns the bibliographies defined
>> locally and the globally defined bibliographies together.  I propose to only
>> list the local bibliographies, if defined, and to return the global
>> bibliographies otherwise.  I think the user needs a way to override the
>> global setting if necessary.  For example, when I work on a manuscript, I’d
>> like to use that manuscript’s dedicated bibliography, but ignore my global
>> bibliography.  It’s very common to work with dedicated bibliographies IME,
>> and the UI of oc-basic doesn’t show from which bibliography an entry is
>> coming.  So there’s no way to reliably select entries from just the
>> dedicated/local bibliography.
>
> There was a thread here last week on this, and we realized that one
> can already override this behavior.
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-07/msg00499.html
>
> # Local Variables:
> # org-cite-global-bibliography: nil
> # End:

Sure, that’s always possible.  However, my suspicion is that users in the
majority of cases want /just/ the local bibliography when they specify one.  If
true, a better default would be to only return the local bibliography.
Personally, I can’t think of a use case where you would like to use a mix of
multiple bibliographies, local and global, especially where there is no way to
see from which bibliography each entry is coming.  What about duplicates, for
instance, i.e. entries that exist in multiple bibliographies?

  Titus