Re: Headings and Headlines

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Headings and Headlines
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 11:03:24 -0400

On Fri, Jul 23, 2021 at 10:07 AM Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com> wrote:
André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:

> The project's documentation refers to headings and headlines as
> synonyms.  Relying on a single definition would be beneficial.

Agreed.  E.g. no more thinking waste about the question if it is
headline or heading?

+1

> If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with heading.

+1

+1

> If the community finds this valuable, I could prepare a patch.

+1

+1

@André

> There's a problem though.  Function names would have to be changed,
> which would have to wait for version 10 otherwise we'd ruin backwards
> compatibility.

It doesn't have to break things drastically. When such changes are made, you would define function aliases using `define-obsolete-function-alias'.
And then that obsoletion warning is removed after a few years.