Re: org-cite: how to include a cite with no key?

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: org-cite: how to include a cite with no key?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 07:41:53 -0400

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 8:48 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 7:28 PM Emmanuel Charpentier
> <emm.charpentier@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> > In natbib there is \citetext{priv.\ comm.} which is used to add a
>> > textual citation to the bibliography that doesn't have a key
>> > associated with it.
>>
>> Hmmm... why should you bother to reference a personal communication ?
>> Such private communications may be mentionned in the text (possibly by
>> a footnote) but can't be properly referenced (since there is nothing to
>> refer to). If you feel that this communication must be referred to, you
>> should give it some (written) support and (properly) reference this
>> support.
>

> Who is to say why someone would bother. It is a command on page two of
> http://tug.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/natbib/natnotes.pdf that one can use.
>
> It is also possible to use  \nocite{*} as a cite, which includes all
> references from a bibliography, and yet contains no key. Even funnier in a
> way is \nocite{key} which just adds entries to the bibliography, but does not
> cite them in the body of a document.
>
> Footnotes are not always allowed in publications, and for various reasons not
> worth defending, in proposals one might want to put this in the references
> because of space limitations.

If not a footnote, a parenthetical note?

What's the value of a citation and bibliography processor handling
formatting here?

Certainly in the CSL world, this has never been supported, and I don't
ever recall it ever coming up (though I'm sure someone on the Zotero
forum raised it at some point).

I will point out the syntax discussion long predates my participation
in the last year or so.

Perhaps it was raised at some point in the past and rejected?

If not raised, it's not surprising it's not supported now.

Bruce