org-cite citation commands

From: Vikas Rawal
Subject: org-cite citation commands
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:05:33 +0530

I have been a long time user of org-ref and am excited to see the
development of org-cite. Thanks a lot for this, Nicholas and others
who have been working on this. I have been wanting to give it a spin
for the last few days and finally got down to doing it.

I am aware that the documentation is still in the works and therefore
my apologies in advance if asking these questions is premature. I have
looked at Nicholas' mails which provide basic documentation and have
been trying to follow these.

What is the equivalent here of the various citation commands that something
like biblatex or bibtex provide? The two most common citation commands I use
are citet and citep (or parencite). These are used to produce the following
kind of output using org-ref/biblatex:

-----
* citet

citet:john is an excellent resource.

will be exported as:

John (1990) is an excellent resource.

* citep

This is an excellent resource citep:john.

will be exported as

This is an excellent resource (John, 1990).

----

How does one achieve this using org-cite?

I am a bit lost with the citation styles that are inbuilt in oc-biblatex.el. Is
it expected that we will have to write additional citation styles for getting
these kinds of output?

Apologies if this is a naive or a premature question.

Many thanks to everyone.

Vikas