Comments break up a paragraph when writing one-setence-per-line

From: William Denton
Subject: Comments break up a paragraph when writing one-setence-per-line
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 12:06:54 -0400 (EDT)

I'm writing an article and decided to try putting each sentence on a different line, which I've seen some people here recommend because it makes using version control easier. It took a little while to get used to it, but I think I like it.

However, I was a bit surprised when I found that a commented line starts a new paragraph. For example, let's say I have a paragraph but I want to comment out a sentence because I'm not sure if I want it in.

#+begin_src org

In this paragraph I introduce an idea.
# Here is something I'm not sure about yet.
But I am sure about this.
And here is my conclusion.

#+end_src org

When this is exported, it becomes two paragraphs, as though the commented line was a blank line. This was unexpected, because to me this is one paragraph with one sentence hidden.

People who write one-sentence-per-line, have you had this problem, and if so how did you handle it?

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/