Re: [BUG] org-goto slows down org-set-property

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-goto slows down org-set-property
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 22:20:56 +0800

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> Certainly 13 seconds is no go especially for interactive usage.

Yeah. So, I do not use it for now until me or someone else fixes the
issue.

> Do you have an alternative for adding properties?
> Unfortunately `org-set-property-and-value' C-c C-x P does not allow to
> set even fixed list of options for completion.

For now, I just edit the properties drawer manually or use custom
setters utilising org-set-property.

You can always generate a list of options using `completing-read'.
Example:

(completing-read
 "Category: "
 (org-ql-select (org-agenda-files t t)
 '(property "CATEGORY")
 :action (lambda () (substring-no-properties (org-entry-get (point)
"CATEGORY")))))

> I use
> `org-set-property' to add CUSTOM_ID when necessary. I do not like purely
> random ID.

You may want to customise `org-id-method'. Also, I often use
`org-capture-ref-generate-key-human-readable' from my org-capture-ref
package [1].

[1] https://github.com/yantar92/org-capture-ref

Best,
Ihor