Re: A requires/provides approach to linking source code blocks

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: A requires/provides approach to linking source code blocks
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2021 20:38:14 +0700

On 09/07/2021 02:32, Tim Cross wrote:
Marko Schuetz-Schmuck writes:

I would find it useful to have a more declarative way for specifying
sequence. I imagine e.g. using "#+REQUIRES:" and "#+PROVIDES:" to
capture dependency and then have the exporter compute a sequence
satisfying these. I would think that this makes the maintenance of the
dependencies more convenient.

My concern here is with the additional complexity. This is already a
somewhat complex aspect of org mode and the behaviour you describe can
effectively be done using noweb, although as you say, not as
declarative in style.

There was a feature request for dependencies between code blocks to run them in proper order a half of a year ago.

I think, it is better to try such feature as an extension of org, as a separate package. I suspect that some non-obvious issue may arise. Likely, to be convenient, it will be desired to autofill requires/provides attributes using some tools related to particular language.

The question is whether org code is organized in such way, so extensions of this kind are possible without code duplication. Maybe API could be adjusted. On the other hand, even maintaining of stable semi-internal API sometimes is significant burden.

P.S. I am reading the mail list through NNTP news.gmain.io. I have noticed that personal copies sometimes arrives without mail list address. Sorry if you will have to manually add it to reply.