Re: [External] : Re: export org table to other formats (gnumeric or scal

From: Daniel Ortmann
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: export org table to other formats (gnumeric or scalc or xlsx)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 18:22:39 -0500

I highly recommend a recent LibreOffice.  Nearly everything I do is through LibreOffice and CSV files.  MS Excel has problems when using inter-field-separators such as semicolons.

When I receive Excel (or other) spreadsheets from people, I must first convert them into CSV files to clear out the crazy manual formatting in order to process them content.

Often a flow such as this helps:
*.xlsx => *.csv => Emacs (to cleanup text, newlines, whitespace) =>
LibreOffice (to sort, reorder, analyze with better use of graphical realestate) =>
*.org tables with Emacs macros to process further =>
*.csv => LibreOffice to generate fresh *.xlsx

Sometimes cleanup with *nix 'cut' and 'paste' tools helps greatly:
- *.csv => cut -d\; -f1-3 >file1
- *.csv => cut -d\; -f4- >file2
- Edit content or add a new set of data
- paste -d';' file1 file2