[wip-cite-new] Exporting to pandoc md (and from there to zotero odt)

From: Anders Johansson
Subject: [wip-cite-new] Exporting to pandoc md (and from there to zotero odt)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:56:28 +0200

Hi all,
I appreciate the work done on the cite functionality!
I use zotero for managing my library and have previously used zotxt
and org-zotxt (along with some additions in my zotxt-extra library)
for being able to cite in org-mode and export correctly to various
formats.
https://gitlab.com/egh/zotxt
https://gitlab.com/egh/zotxt-emacs
https://gitlab.com/andersjohansson/emacs-zotxt-extra

Zotxt has used a custom link format for citations (similar to org-ref)
which links to zotero but optionally also contains a citekey (defined
via the zotero-better-bibtex extension to zotero). I actually wrote my
PhD thesis with this setup, but the connection to Zotero has always
felt a little wobbly and Zotero is also quite slow for my large
library.

Now seems to be a great time to convert to a workflow with the new
cite format. To enable a conversion from org mode to word processors
with Zotero ”active” citations I created two libraries to manage this
via pandoc and the pandoc filter created for the zotero-better-bibtex
extension.
(see: https://retorque.re/zotero-better-bibtex/exporting/pandoc/)

This allows me a workflow like:
1. keep an updated  .bib-file of my library in zotero (with the help
of zotero-better-bibtex)
2. cite in org-mode (for me with completion via helm-bibtex and
https://github.com/bdarcus/bibtex-actions/pull/113)
3. Export to an odt-file with active zotero citations (with oc-pandoc
and ox-md-pandoc-zotero)

I attach them here in case anyone else finds some part of this workflow usable.
https://gitlab.com/andersjohansson/org-cite-pandoc
https://gitlab.com/andersjohansson/ox-md-pandoc-zotero

I couldn’t find any previous definitions for exporting to the pandoc
cite format so I quickly hacked up org-cite-pandoc. I suppose it could
be be widely useful and included in org. Feel free to use it as
suitable (I have FSF copyright assignment for emacs).

Best,
Anders Johansson