Re: literate programming, development log -- ideas?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: literate programming, development log -- ideas?
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 13:08:08 +0100

On Monday,  7 Jun 2021 at 14:43, Greg Minshall wrote:
> i write most of my code in a (per-project) .org file, which is typically
> tangled into source or script files.

I do the same.

> i'm wondering if people do this, especially the development log, and if
> there are any hints or practices people might feel would be of interest
> to share.

I use version control for this aspect, liberally adding/deleting
text/code and relying on the version control system to keep the log for
me.  I used to try to keep the log, as you call it, within the org file
but that seemed eventually to be both difficult and pointless when there
are decent version control tools out there.

I use src mostly [1] when everything is going to be in one file.

The "current" version of the document will have the code and results
that match the text.

YMMV, of course.

HTH,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://gitlab.com/esr/src

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.6-549-ga0a87d