Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 08:44:33 +1000

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> On 6/2/21 8:07 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 4:28 AM Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The more I think about it, I think the best solution would be to update
>>> the code which sets the default and have it check for latexmk. If it is
>>> found, set it as the default and if it is not found, set the existing
>>> default. This would have minimum impact on users and allow those who
>>> have installed latexmk to get the benefits while not forcing those who
>>> don't need it to install it.
>> If this were possible, I agree it would be the best approach.
>
> Perhaps this is a stupid question, but what about the case in which TeX is
> installed after Emacs is installed? I do this sometimes.

No impact. The code is initialised each time you load org. If you start
Emacs and then install TeX/LaTeX (including latexmk), you would have the
existing default
until the next time you start Emacs, at which time the default will be
set to latexmk.

This 'pattern' of setting a value based on code which selects an
appropriate value based on what is on the system is already used
extensively in Emacs.

--
Tim Cross