Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 19:00:10 +0200

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

> I really don't understand why the changed is needed.

The upcoming citation support needs a reliable way to run the required
bibliography processor (e.g. biber or bibtex). Therefore the current
default setting that only runs latex three times does not suffice.

On the other hand running biber unconditionally will result in errors
if no citation and bibliography has been used in the document.

So we need a more sophisticated method to run the LaTeX engine and
associated tools. One way would be to use something that tries to
do exactly this: Depending on the LaTeX document and/or the log file
decide what's left to do to get a properly set result. With latexmk it
is also easier to handle generation of index or glossaries files etc.

Or we try to re-build something like this in Elisp (which would be
nice but quite a lot of work; even if we utilize the lessons learned
from latexmk).

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.