Re: Smart quotes not working correctly with single quotes

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Smart quotes not working correctly with single quotes
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 10:10:55 +0000

Hi Andreas,

I don't know if this is a bug, but I would say that in principle it's
the expected result. Single quotes are understood here as inner quotes
or second-level quotation marks, therefore they are only activated
nested in text with first level quotes: " ... '...' ... "

lorem "ipsum 'dolor sit' amet"

For LaTeX output, however, the csquotes package is a more powerful
option to control the correct quotation marks for each language. For
example:

#+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[german,english]{babel}
#+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[babel=true,autostyle=true,german=quotes]{csquotes}
#+LaTeX_Header: \MakeOuterQuote{"}
#+LaTeX_Header: \MakeInnerQuote{´}
#+LaTeX: \selectlanguage{german}\EnableQuotes
It's a ´test´. "Please".
lorem "ipsum ´dolor´ sit" amet

Best regards,

Juan Manuel