Smart quotes not working correctly with single quotes

From: Andreas Gösele
Subject: Smart quotes not working correctly with single quotes
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 22:54:41 -0400

Hi,

even using "smart quotes", single quotes are not correctly exported into
html, odt or latex.

I have as document:

| #+LANGUAGE: de
| It's a 'test'. "Please".

If I export it to html I get:

| It’s a ’test’. „Please“.

I should get:

| It’s a ‚test‘. „Please“.

If I export to latex I get:

| It's a 'test'. "`Please"'.

I should get:

| It's a \glq{}test\grq{}. "`Please"'.

If I export to odt I get:

| It’s a ’test’. „Please“.

I should get:

| It’s a ‚test‘. „Please“.

(The odt example outputs use utf8, I hope it gets transmitted.)

So in all three cases apostrophes and double quotes are correctly
exported, but not single quotes. Similar problem if I use "#+LANGUAGE:
en".

I have org-mode 9.3 with emacs 27.1.

What could I do to get single quotes to be exported correctly?

Thanks a lot!

Andreas