Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `csl' citation processor

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Initial implementation of `csl' citation processor
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 20:47:42 -0400

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 6:07 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What if a developer has the idea to hook up one of the new, very fast,
> > csl libraries: either the haskell version associated with pandoc, or
> > the rust-based version associated with Zotero?
> >
> > Possible reasons they might want to do that: performance and/or
> > compliance/features.
> >
> > Could you make sure this module is coded in such a way that it should
> > be relatively straightforward to do that?
>
> The citation processor is pretty much centered around the API provided
> by the Emacs Citeproc library. I don't know what interface the other
> libraries you mention do provide, but if they are not close to each
> other, some work will be required.

They are close, but ....

> Fortunately, barring constants and defcustoms, that's roughly 300 locs.
> At this size, doing anything is (or should be) "relatively
> straightforward" in Elisp.

... 300 LOC is indeed pretty compact.

BTW, I did get it all setup, and do seem to have run into a bug.

Input:

[cite/noauthor:@latexcompanion p23]

Output (not position of the locator label):

(p 1993, 23)

BTW, I mentioned on the citeproc-el issue tracker that it should be
pretty straightforward to add support for both the "author" and "text"
styles there, and then in turn here:

https://github.com/andras-simonyi/citeproc-el/issues/15

This is because "text" is basically just "author/bare" + "noauthor".

Bruce