Org-export question from a pandoc user

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Org-export question from a pandoc user
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:59:58 +0200

Hi everyone,

given the recent developments regarding the citation syntax I'm currently looking at orgmode as a writing environment again. One thing I don't understand currently: Do you have to have you export configuration in your source file or is there a way to keep your writing clean from these formatting instructions? That stuff causes a lot of overhead, and I was really happy to learn about pandoc after using LaTeX for a long time.

Just to clarify what I mean:
With pandoc you can add formatting information to your document metadata, but you can also use makefiles or external files that contain your settings. So, in the end your documents will only contain the contents:

#+begin_src markdown
---
author: Denis
title: My article
date: whenever it is done
---

# Introduction
The article starts here

#+end_src

The nice thing about this approach is that you can define different settings for different output formats and reuse them as appropriate.

How do you do that in orgmode? Is that possible?

Denis