Re: Updating column view dynamic block does not work with {est+}

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Updating column view dynamic block does not work with {est+}
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 19:58:28 +0200

Hello,

Axel Kielhorn <org-mode@axelkielhorn.de> writes:

> In columnview mode the estimate is calculated[1] but the dynamic block
> doesn’t get updated.
>
> I did some bisecting and the last version where both column view and dynamic
> block were working is:
>
> Merge branch 'maint'  1aeb958e5       Marco Wahl <marcowahlsoft@gmail.com>
> 12.02.2017, 09:19
>
> In
>
> Use Org duration library      7e8cf5f4c       Nicolas Goaziou
> <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>        13.02.2017, 14:41
>
> neither column view nor dynamic block is working.
>

> For the column view this was fixed in:
>
> Merge branch 'maint'  2f200f50d       Bastien <bzg@gnu.org>   03.05.2021,
> 15:59
>
> (But I don’t understand how this fixes the problem.)
>
> For the dynamic block the updating does not work.
> Since this was broken for 4 years I think no-one uses it.
>
> [1] The „est+“  function only adds integers and doesn’t work with times like
> 0:15.
> This is to be expected since it is a „+“ function, otherwise it would be
> „est:“.
> One could argue that an „est:“ function would be more appropriate,
> but since no-one seems to use this feature, I’m not the one to argue that.
>
> Maybe a note in the documentation would be sufficient:
>
> Note that this is a =+= function that adds numbers, not a =:= which handles
> times.
>
> Do you want a patch for that?

I think the issue is different.

Org Duration is strict about what it is fed with (which is good). Effort
property expects a duration as value. But "3-8" is not a valid duration.
However, "3" is a valid duration; it means 3 minutes.

Maybe Effort property should simply accept a duration or a duration
range.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou