Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: [wip-cite-new] Adjust punctuation around citations
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 00:03:53 +0200

Am 16.05.2021 um 23:38 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Denis Maier
<denis.maier.lists@mailbox.org> wrote:

There's only one further complication: if the quotation is a set off
block quote, the citation comes after the punctuation mark:
This is a complete sentence. (author year)

I've not seen that with the cases I'm familiar with (US and UK English).

The citation would just be inside the final period of the blockquote,
so depending on style class:

- ... ending of blockquote (Doe, 2019).
- ... ending of blockquote [doe19].
- ... ending of blockquote.[1]

So there would be need for any special handling.

I mean blockquotes don't normally include quotation marks around them.

Can you clarify the rule/situation that would use that approach?

Chicago Manual of Style 15.26:
"When the source of a block quotation is given in parentheses at the end of the quotation, the opening parenthesis appears after the final punctuation mark of the quoted material. No period either precedes or follows the closing parenthesis."

And the example:
If you happen to be fishing, and you get a strike, and whatever it is starts off with the preliminaries of a vigorous fight; and by and by, looking down over the side through the glassy water, you see a rosy golden gleam, the mere specter of a fish, shining below in the clear depths; and when you look again a sort of glory of golden light flashes and dazzles as it circles nearer beneath and around and under the boat; . . . and you land a slim and graceful and impossibly beautiful three-foot goldfish, whose fierce and vivid yellow is touched around the edges with a violent red—when all these things happen to you, fortunate but bewildered fisherman, then you may know you have been fishing in the Galapagos Islands and have taken a Golden Grouper. (Pinchot 1930, 123)

Seems to be the same in MLA and APA by the way:
https://writingcenter.uagc.edu/block-quotations

Denis