Re: Bug: spurious change in list indent cursor motion [9.4.4 (9.4.4-dist

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: Bug: spurious change in list indent cursor motion [9.4.4 (9.4.4-dist @ /home/powellj/elisp/org-9.4.4/lisp/)]
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 15:08:57 +0200

Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

> Kevin,
>
>> FWIW, during the latest poll somebody suggested making org-indent-line
>> cycle through "syntactically valid" indentation levels when hitting TAB
>> repeatedly, like python-indent-line-function; I like this idea.
>
> i think (*) the current "master" branch allows you to type "-
> fu<RET>-<TAB> *bar" (where the " *" bit means "zero or more spaces").
> but, i guess because of folding, it's that sensitive, doesn't cycle when
> any non-blank is typed.

Right, that allows changing the indentation level of a newly inserted
bullet point; my remark was about changing the indentation level of
regular text, e.g. "- list item<RET><TAB>unindented paragraph".

C-j works well enough when there are only two valid positions (column 2
and column 0); in this situation though:

- foo
  - bar
  - baz<point>

It would be nice if RET TAB TAB TAB… cycled between columns 2→0→4…, just
like M-RET TAB TAB TAB… cycles between columns 6→2→4…