Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: M . ‘quintus’ Gülker
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 20:14:41 +0200

Am 05. Mai 2021 um 09:46 Uhr -0400 schrieb Bruce D'Arcus:
> We found three rules:
>
> 1. what Chicago calls "American"
> 2. what it calls "British"
> 3. French (though Denis is still confirming how these work in actual books)
>
> The output in each, when formatting as a note:
>
> 1. A sentence ending in a "cited quote."[1]
> 2. A sentence ending in a "cited quote".[1]
> 3. A sentence ending in a "cited quote[1]."

While I have never seen it stated authoritatively somewhere, in German
it appears to be common to use 1) if the terminal period is in the
cited source, and 2) if it is not, that is, just being exact in
quoting. As a result, both variants can occur in the same document,
because it depends on the cited source.

3) is doubtful in German. It would mean that there is a footnote 1 in
the cited source, but there is not reference for the cited source.
Correct it would have to be

    4) A sentence ending in a "cited quote¹"³.

or

    5) A sentence ending in a "cited quote¹".³

If the cited quote referenced by footnote 3 indeed does have a
footnote 1 in that position. That being said, I never saw such a
construction.

At least, that are the rules I recall from my school time and which I
used ever since with nobody complaining.

I wonder, can the placement of the footnote not just be left to the
author...? I have the impression that something is being
over-engineered here with the attempt to automate this, but maybe this
is just me.

  -quintus

--
Dipl.-Jur. M. Gülker | https://mg.guelker.eu |    For security: