Re: Bug: org-agenda-later scrolls buffer unnecessarily [9.4 (9.4-7-g3ecc

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: Bug: org-agenda-later scrolls buffer unnecessarily [9.4 (9.4-7-g3eccc5-elpaplus @ /home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200921/)]
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 18:47:14 -0300

Hi Bastien,

On Mon, 03 May 2021 at 17:31, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

since some time I've been facing a small annoyance in the agenda, as when I move point in my weekly agenda to a day which is not the first one display and then hit "f" (`org-agenda-later') the agenda buffer is scrolled up, hiding the top of the buffer, even though there is no lack of space in the frame to fit the whole window.

Fixed in maint, thanks.

Thank you for looking into this.

But I think the commit, though indeed avoids the reported undue scrolling, brings other undesired side effects. Usually, `org-agenda-later' will carry over the current day of the week to the next week. If we call it on Thursday, point will be placed on the same week day of the next week.

Just calling `(set-window-start nil 1)' there breaks this regularity. It is easy to generate a case where this happens. Just squeeze the height of your window on a "populated" agenda, and choose a day for which that day next week won't fit in the window if position 1 is shown, and call it from there.

Perhaps doing so before the call to `org-agenda-find-same-or-today-or-agenda' would be a possibility? (untested)

Best,
Gustavo.