Re: [POLL] Setting `org-adapt-indentation' to nil by default?

From: Kévin Le Gouguec
Subject: Re: [POLL] Setting `org-adapt-indentation' to nil by default?
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 09:41:13 +0200

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
>> If I set `org-adapt-indent' to 'headline-data, I get that same
>> behavior that after pressing ENTER on headline line, position becomes
>> indentend. So it does not make it right.
>>
>> My favour was the behaviour how it was before introduction of
>> indentation change:
>>
>> - after headline, cursors went to beginning of line; I find it
>>   usable, as that is where I write text.
>>
>> - if I ever wanted to enter properties with C-c C-x p, those were
>> automatically
>>   indented,
>
> This is  exactly what headline-data does. I suspect what your running
> into is electric-indent-mode and you need to turn it off to get the
> behaviour you want. So set org-adapt-indentation to hedline-data and
> turn off electric-indent-mode and you will get the indentation style you
> are after.

Note that electric-indent-mode means "RET indents according to the major
mode's canonical indentation rules", not "RET always indents".

Org's rules depend on org-adapt-indentation: ideally with
org-adapt-indentation set to 'headline-data, the canonical rules become
"only :DRAWERS: are indented", so RET should *not* indent text; things
should behave as Jean Louis prefers even with electric-indent-mode on.

Bastien has just committed a fix for this earlier today;
cf. <87fsz4gtjs.fsf@gmail.com>.