Re: wip-cite status question and feedback

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: wip-cite status question and feedback
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 19:30:59 -0400

On the substance of these rules, my conclusion (and Denis knows this
are better than I, so can amend this) is the primary difference
between what Chicago calls "American" punctuation rules and "British"
is that the former puts trailing punctuation within the closing quote,
and the latter does not, except in rare circumstances.

This is independent of citations, BTW. It's just that the citations
expose them when we have to switch between different styles.

Given this, we could imagine a default function that itself took a
parameter to address that difference, with possible values like
"inside-punctuation" and "outside-punctuation," which of course would
be more general than calling them "American" and "British".

But those are among those "details" I noted in my previous message.

The function would be pretty close to the logic of what Nicolas
already wrote, but with some additional logic to deal with the
"British" case.

That would give pretty robust and flexible support out-of-box.

But allowing one to plug in a different function would give still more
flexibility, of course. It could well be my characterization of the
fundamental difference between those two punctuation rules breaks down
in other cases.

Bruce