Re: Bug: org-insert-heading-respect-content before first heading [9.4 (9

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: Bug: org-insert-heading-respect-content before first heading [9.4 (9.4-19-gb1de0c-elpaplus @ /home/gustavo/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20201019/)]
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 14:11:12 -0300

Hi Bastien,

On Sun, 02 May 2021 at 03:54, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

I just tested the fix and, indeed,
`org-insert-heading-respect-content' no longer breaks the structure of
the first heading.  However, if I may add a nitpick, the value of
`org-blank-before-new-entry' does not seem to be honored in this case.
For default values, a distance of one blank line is ensured to the
next heading.

My understanding is that `org-blank-before-new-entry' will ensure
there is a blank line before the new entry, which is what I see.

Let me know if there is something I miss here.  Thanks!

Indeed, that's why I said I'm not sure `org-blank-before-new-entry' is the culprit here. Still, there is a difference of behavior in that regard if point is before or after the fist heading. An ECM to reproduce it is the following.

From the situation ("|" represents point position), call `C-RET':

#+begin_src org
,#+title: Title

,* Foo

,* Bar

,* Baz
#+end_src

The result is:

#+begin_src org
,#+title: Title

,* |
,* Foo

,* Bar

,* Baz
#+end_src

Now move point to:

#+begin_src org
,#+title: Title

,*
,* Foo

,* Bar

,* Baz
#+end_src

And call `C-RET'.  The result is:

#+begin_src org
,#+title: Title

,*
,* Foo

,* Bar

,* |

,* Baz
#+end_src

Not quite sure what is the cause, and also not absolutely sure what would be expected behavior. Since, if we now place point at:

#+begin_src org
,#+title: Title

,*
,* Foo

,* Bar

,*

,* Baz
#+end_src

And call `C-RET', we get:

#+begin_src org
,#+title: Title

,*
,* Foo
,* |

,* Bar

,*

,* Baz
#+end_src

My guess, and this is just a hunch, is that the default value of `org-blank-before-new-entry', which by default is `auto' for `heading' is somehow backward looking, and hence has somewhat of a hard time in making the said "intelligent decision" as to how many blank lines to include. Particularly before the first heading.

Indeed, I can understand the last case in that perspective, since the first heading we inserted has no blank line to "Foo", so that when inserting a new heading between "Foo" and "Bar" if we look right above "no blank line" is the rule to infer. And, if that first heading is removed, inserting a new one there, will behave just as it does between "Bar" and "Baz".

This was all tested with `emacs -Q', version 27.2, and Org commit 3e497bec3. No variables changed, thus out-of-the-box experience.

Anyway, as mentioned, "nitpick" level stuff, since you asked for testing.

Best regards,
Gustavo.