Re: [Feature Request] More flexibility in org-speed-commands customizati

From: Gustavo Barros
Subject: Re: [Feature Request] More flexibility in org-speed-commands customization
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 18:24:14 -0300

Hi Bastien,

On Sat, 01 May 2021 at 13:24, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

Hi Gustavo,

Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com> writes:

I don't know if there is a strong reason to hard-code the set of keys
in `org-speed-commands-default'.  But, if there isn't, could you
consider (somehow) exposing the whole set of `org-speed-commands' to
user customization?

Well, no, I don't see a strong reason to hard-code the set of speedy
keys.  See the attached patch, which proposes to use just one option
`org-speed-commands'.

This would be a breaking change, but I don't think we do otherwise.

Would this suit your needs?  What do you think about the change?

Thank you for seeing to this.

Yes, the patch corresponds pretty much to what I had in mind. That's the way I'd go there too.

And it's not about my needs here, I can verify it is safe to override the defconst and do so (as indeed I do). I was thinking more of that kind of user which would be uncertain if they could, and might eventually refrain from using a nice feature for framing it an "expert kind of stuff".

A possible way to mitigate breakage here can be at hand, since we ended up with a third name (a proper one, btw). You could mark `org-speed-commands-user' as obsolete but keep it, for the due time as usual, and append it to `org-speed-commands' somehow (no need to distinguish them in `org-speed-command-help' though). Those who had overriden `org-speed-commands-default' are on their own, of course, as they shouldn't have done that in the first place. ;-)

Best regards,
Gustavo.