Re: stability of toc links

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 22:22:31 +0800

> I pointed out some concerns I have about the robustness of this system
> already. I don't think you answered to any of them. I fear we may be
> communicating past each other in this thread.

Sorry about that. I'll try to address the bits I've missed in these last
few emails.

Just in reference to the part of your prior email that I didn't address
in my reply,

> I don't think such a system would preserve properties offered by
> `org-export-get-reference', for example in non-latin languages.

Looking back on your recent email where you list properties:

> references consist of alphanumeric characters only, so they are /de
> facto/ compatible with any target format;

This is uses characters from [a-z0-9-]

> references are guaranteed to be unique in the document;

The suffixed number I mentioned ensures this.

> cross-references between documents are stable.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

> Also, header content is not stable enough: when you're linking to the
> custom ID, you may be able to change the title and yet preserve the
> link.

Custom IDs still work, so I don't quite see the point here.

> I pointed out some concerns I have about the robustness of this system
> already.

If there are any other concerns than what I've covered above, I'm afraid
they have slipped past me.

--
Timothy