Re: stability of toc links

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 15:18:24 -0700

hi trs,

thank you.  i can imagine that could be useful for a lot of users, but
for me, as i said in my op, "short of adding custom id
or id to everything" --- i didn't want to add custom id.  i will try
to clarify why in case it is useful.

in addition to performance, and clutter, there is a semantic issue in
my case.  typically, if i see that there is a properties drawer, i
know that it is there because of an org id or a manual custom id or a
special purpose of my own.  if i know it, i don't need to open it.

however, adding custom id automatically for so many links means that
there is a new meaning for properties drawers [namely, for stable
linking done automatically].  i would have to open the drawer to
determine if i personally wanted something there.

and thus, the extra properties drawers would cause effort and
distraction in this semantic sense, where i would be opening them
because i would be thinking "did i really have a reason to add a
properties drawer here? i don't recall so... better check"

also, there is the issue that if i decide not to include something in
the toc, it will still have a properties drawer lying around.

in the op, i was not looking for a solution for one blog post, but
thought a general solution for all org users might be possible.

and this would likely be at the html level, probably by using e.g.
header text, fuzzy or strict hashes, or a combination.

when tec posted his html level code, it looked like the right type of
solution to the problem.  i have not tried it, however.

i hope that clarifies.  tec said he originally did not get much
interest.  then there was interest on this thread.  then nothing.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html