Re: org-store-link and help for a key

From: Maxim Nikulin
Subject: Re: org-store-link and help for a key
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 21:44:09 +0700

On 27/04/2021 21:25, Bastien wrote:

Even though storing links to help buffers describing key bindings is
tempting, there is no way to recreate such buffers only based on the
key string, because keys are contextual.

In org-mode, C-h k C-a will describe org-beginning-of-line while in
other modes it will probably describe beginning-of-line.

So we cannot really write a proper handler for these links and the
user error is correct here.

I'm closing this bug report now.

I have looked into the code storing and handling links yet, so I am unaware what is possible and what is not. My expectation is to get link to org-beginning-of-line if help is invoked from an org buffer and link to beginning-of-line if I came to the help page from some other file. I do not know whether associated function may be obtained for a help buffer opened for keystroke.

Maybe I will look at this issue later, so I do not mind that the bug is closed.