Re: org-cite: make 'suppress-author' a citation 'style'

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: org-cite: make 'suppress-author' a citation 'style'
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 16:12:08 -0400

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 3:48 PM András Simonyi <andras.simonyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 at 14:50, Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:
> > How would you deal with these?
> >
> > #+begin_example
> > [cite/-:@doe20; @doe21]
> > [cite/-:@doe20; see also @smith19]
> > [cite/text:@doe20; see also @smith19]
> > #+end_example
> >
> > My thought is you want to treat the author of the first listed cite as
> > suppressed, or placed in-text in the last case, but that you wouldn't
> > touch the other author?
>
> yes, exactly -- since it's difficult to see (at least for me) how the
> context could supply the author information for the subsequent cites.

So the output for the first one would be:

(2020, 2021)

..., and not:

(2020, Doe 2021)

As in, you would suppress the author not on the first cite (what you
wrote in the original reply), but the author of the first cite?

To me, that's the only wrinkle of having this a citation-level style;
that a processor would need to be smart enough to handle cases like
that, for output styles that require it.

But otherwise it's easier and more efficient for the user.

Bruce