Re: stability of toc links

From: Samuel Loury
Subject: Re: stability of toc links
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 15:32:30 +0200

[...]

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i was referring to:
>>
>>   Message ID <87v9dbelky.fsf@gmail.com>
>>
>> in this thread.
>>
>> [and other posts in this thread related to it.]
>
> Unfortunately, I won't have time to look at the whole thread anytime
> soon. However, feel free to explain how "tec's fix" works, or point me
> to the exact post where it is explained so I can understand it.
>
>> the problem as i see it is link stability in generated output.
>
> The links are stable if you publish a document. Note that you can even
> "publish" a single document.
>
> For exported (i.e., one off documents), this is not so an issue (IMO)
> since you have custom ID. I assume this was evoked in the thread.

I think you are both talking about the same thing but have different
judgment calls about it.

Say you want to export an org file, then share the link to a friend to a
heading, like https://mysite/#orgd260798

Imagine that for some reason, you re export the file, then new ids are
generated and the links becomes broken.

Nicolas Goaziou, I know you understand this and propose to use CUSTOM_ID
to make those ids static. But IIUC, Samuel Wales does not know in
advance what heading he will share, so he would have to add CUSTOM_ID
everywhere, just in case. This sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.

The solution of tec¹ appears to be a new generation of the html ids based
on the heading content rather than apparently randomly generated, making
the generated link become the same across new generations.

I hope it clarified the discussion.

My best,

¹  https://tecosaur.github.io/emacs-config/config.html#nicer-generated-heading
--